October 7, 2011

Dubstep

What is dubstep?

I read the wikipedia article and still have no idea. However, this youtube street performer was my first intro to "dubstep" a few years ago.

I am suddenly super into this type of music with an interesting, fast-paced bass and electronic beat. I stumbled upon SoundCloud, which has a dubstep tag today. It is way way better than my Pandora radio station that I've been trying to cobble together to listen to at work. Of course, now that I'm going out of the country for two weeks, I'm unlikely to listen to any of this.

I'm in a really groove-based, yet high energy wanting to dance mood. I think this actually started at PAX this year. There was a room, Jamspace, that I stopped by on my way to see what was up with story games. It was really awesome and I caught one or two of the last songs by these two guys, but I don't remember their names. I think one of them had was some sort of animal or insect name. I really enjoyed standing in the back and letting the music wash over me.

It was a novelty to be by myself, at a mini concert. There's so few times that I'm not doing something with someone else to share it with that it's hard to enjoy things by myself. I don't remember the last time I watched a movie on my own. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've eaten at a nice restaurant by myself. I don't particularly think it's because I can't do things on my own. I like sharing things that I think are cool with everyone else I know. I'm that person who derives maximum enjoyment out of looking at art and shows when I can whisper my thoughts and comments to someone.

It's like I almost don't trust that my experience on my own will be as valid or real without someone else there to share the reality. I should probably get over this, but it's so hard because I don't want someone else to miss out on something awesome. I'm always optimistic that the things I go to are going to be awesome. Why wouldn't you want to want to come with me?  It's going to be awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Consider yourself vastly lucky. I happen to be living the exact opposite experience right now. If I'm going to do something, it's likely to be on my own.
    I used to listen to a lot of high energy techno in college. Even went to a few raves. Even in a space like a rave (or more commonly a party) I feel the urge to break off from the group and explore on my own.
    This past weekend end I found myself in a corn maze with my roommate and her friends. I was always a few steps ahead of the group. When I figured out where the last treasure was, I sprinted ahead of them.
    I've bookmarked the SoundCloud link. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete