August 24, 2008

The Concept of Revolution

Decision are made on an individual level, yet it usually takes the consensus of the masses to implement change.

As an individual, I feel like I have reached a point where I am ready to take the responsibility of choosing the direction that I think the world should evolve into. Though I have never been especially political or rally-ist, it seems like they actually work in bringing about change. As silly as it may seem, if enough people band together and make enough noise, something will happen. It's like peer pressure on a grandiose scale. My experience with community events are pretty much volunteer work for one-time events as well as some light donating...and so it'd honestly take something that I'm truly deeply passionate about to wrest a commitment from me.

This brings up the question, what is the best way to make the most of my limited resources (time, money & energy) to be a part of change, as well as make that change and participation sustainable?

Will we choose to become the change that is revolutionary or just be spectators? Are we at the cusp of a revolution? And if so, what exactly are we revolutionizing?

It's been a really really long time since I've produced a serious blog post/any sort of serious writing and I read over this and am somewhat concerned that it comes off a little too academia. Which is one of the reasons I didn't get an English degree. One of the reasons I did want to get an English degree had to do with the fact that one of my favorite things to do in general is to think up completely off the wall, out of the box reasons for events. Works of literature are rife with opportunities to drag in elaborate themes and analogies and cleverly tie them together to create a framework and viewpoint that are borderline preposterous. I fear and love my imagination. Fear because I am afraid of not being able to live up to its potential (which is why I didn't seriously consider becoming a creative writer as a career choice) and love obviously because I like coming up with crazy solutions. As a pre-teen/teen, I used to spend HOURS upon HOURS in the bathroom doing nothing but role-playing scenarios between me and other people, where I would hold both sides of the conversation. Of course, in time I came to realize that every single scenario that I played out would never be the actual one so it seemed like the more I did it, the more unlikely it seemed that it would actually turn out that way. Anyway, I still feel like this blog is helping me connect a little bit more with that creative side (as well as D&Ding :)) and getting used to putting down thoughts. And hopefully, the end goal of all of this is that someday a book will materialize out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment